Hey everyone 🙂
So today I wanted to talk about something that all of us Christians struggle with in our lives and that is getting ourselves to dig deep into God’s word. Honestly, if we genuinely wanted God to listen to us, we wouldn’t have to drag ourselves into it. Shouldn’t it be something that comes naturally? No matter where you are in, in your walk with Christ reading the bible can become a mundane activity that we sometimes fall out of love with. Top that off with the busy schedule of 21st Century life and bible reading becomes something that never gets checked off the ‘to-do list’.
It says in the bible that the Word of God is breathed out by God (2 Tim 3:16-17), it pierces into our thoughts and the intentions of our heart (Hebrews 4:12) and if you mediate on it day and night you will be successful and equipped for every good work (Joshua 1:8). So…how many of us have read self-help books? Yup, I’ve done it too. People who we look up to as having been successful write a myriad of books that tell us how to live our lives, to become successful. Now, I’m no professor of literature or anything, but the more I read them, the more I find that most of the advice being given out is just a summary of what is already in the bible. Why go and spend you time reading hundreds of books, about a billion different topics, when the real deal is already all in one package!? One of the people I’ve been inspired by lately is a comedian and talk show host called Steve Harvey. In one of his speeches he says “They’ve taken all these scriptures and putting them in books….but everything in there is in the scripture. They just reworded it because people don’t know how to read the bible”. We are more concerned to read a fancy New York best time seller, than a raggaty, black leather book. But the thing is you and I need that black leather book, the one with the pages that are so old and dusty from not being used, because that is God speaking directly to us; it is His voice. The smallest sentence, the three simple words that you read can change your life…..as it did in Mr. Harvey’s case. He went on to be on of the greatest black-american comedians, four TV shows and much more!
So here’s some things to do and inspiration to start reading your bible more:
- Podcasts- we live in a age where there are literally podcasts about everything and anything. No matter which preacher or inspirational speaker you like to listen to, chances are they have a dedicated podcast. This is a good way to listen to God’s word on the go. Check out brightontheday.com’s -Best Christian Podcast post.
- YouTube– I reckon YouTube is such a good way to gain inspiration and to see your favorite speaker’s in action, from the comfort of your own home. There are some great Christian YouTubers out there, and for those of you who feel sleeping just hearing the word ‘read’ this is a great visual aide to help you. Some of my favourites are Sadie Roberston, Joseph Solomon and CoffeeandBibleTimes.
- WordForYouToday– no matter where you are in the world, the word for you today is a great tool to remind you daily of God’s word. It’s great for on the go, and from experience it really is relatable to our everyday struggles. You can get it posted to your house for free, subscribe to their emails or follow them on social media, which I find very useful. It comes in a adults version as well as a teens one.
- Bible journaling/Pinterest– for all you guys out there who are creative and like the arts, bible journaling is a great way to meditate on God’s word. It’s one of my favorite things to do, and there are endless ideas and inspirations on Pinterest.
- And last but not least, just grab a coffee, sit on your own with a pen or pencil and start reading. Sometimes with the noise and distraction from everything else, we can miss out on what God wants to say to us. The tips above are meant to encourage you and to help you. They are not meant to replace the process of actually digging deep into God’s word. Just pray for the Holy Spirit to guide and teach you in what you read and I promise God will speak to you!
If you found this post helpful, please like, share and follow me for more inspiration and encouragement like this. I really hope you felt inspired to go and delve into God’s word because there is nothing like hearing our Creator’s voice!
Stay Blessed X